Sunday, April 27, 2008

The New Home

Introduction

After about 6 months of rearing the Forth Batch, very soon I found both of the ponds cannot accomodate those big fish anymore. Couple with the fact that my target is to rear 400 tails of fishes so that we will have daily fish supply, there is a need for me to construct a new pond.

My new pond

After much consideration have been taken to build a new pond, I finally agreed to one of the landscaping contractor to build one measuring 18'x4'x5'. My target is to have 18' of water length and 4' of water width and 4' of water depth. By my calculation, my fibre tank can rear 60 tails with a volume of 6'x4'x1 1/2' of water, the new pond will have 6 times of water volume. Theoretically it should be able to accomodate 360 tails but I think 200 should be a more reasonable figure.

The other purpose of the new pond is to serve as a landscape in my garden so we will have more 'water', ah ha!

The construction went on smoothly initially but the contractor somehow after collected about 90% of my payment went disappear, not responding to my followup request. By that time the pond is fully constructed except those filter material not supplied yet. Hence I wouldn't like to recommend the contractor here. This is not really a problem for me as I know where to get all those filtering materials myself.



Transfering to new home

Transfering the Forth batch fishes into the new home give all my children a very good fun time as they will have a chance to catch a lot of big fishes! Some experience which is very difficult to come by for city dwelling children. This opportunity also give us a very good opportunity to work together, me and my children.

One after another one, we caught them and sending them into the big pond. All of them, including the koi, 'bak su kong' and the tilapia nile, we counted about 50 tails, they went into the big pond happily.


No comments: